The founder of the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago was John G. Shedd, a retired Marshal Field& Co. president. The building was finished in 1929, with the Shedd Aquarium Society already being formed prior in 1924. The goal was to make this the world’s largest aquarium, and according to the back of this postcard, it was. It opened on May 30, 1930- Shedd’s widow cut the ribbon at the ceremony as he had passed away before he could see it in all its glory. The description on the back of this linen postcard reads: “The largest and most modern Aquarium in America located in Grant Park at the Lake Front was donated by John G. Shedd at a cost of $3,000,000; it is an octagonal building of Georgian Marble. A lecture hall, hatchery, scientific laboratories and museum of rare preserved fish are interesting features.” This card was postmarked August 22, 1939, less than ten years after opening day. Below is another linen of the aquarium, postmarked in 1952. Notice the difference in the cards- the earlier view has water with a sailboat on the left and below, that area is sidewalk and grass.