Douglas Park in Chicago is named after Stephen Douglas, the senator who lost to Abraham Lincoln in 1858. Named the Douglas Park Cultural & Community Center today, it is located on South Sacramento Drive. To the left is a postcard of the lagoon with boaters, postmarked 1916.
“PERGOLA IN DOUGLAS PARK, CHICAGO. Douglas Park is in the southwest section of the city, extending from west 12th to west 19th Street, between south California and south Albany Avenues. It has an area of 182 acres and contains a beautiful lake that covers about 26(?) acres. The buildings include a refectory, assembly hall, gymnasium and natatorium and the usual excellent provisions are made for all kinds of athletics and amusements in both winter and summer.”